Is the Australian accent a serious problem for the Australian film and television industry?

This question is partly inspired by the outrage about my comment that Australian accents aren’t that decipherable. It’s a genuine problem.

Let me explain this in a way that you will understand. Netflix is revolutionising the way people view media and it is a huge global success, revenues are in the billions. British film and TV shows are cashing in by getting Netflix deals but there is hardly any demand from Australian sources.

A massively successful TV show in Australia called Wanted was recently added to Netflix as it was met with almost universal critical acclaim. It has flopped on Netflix though and let me tell you why. The very first scene is two women locked in the boot of a car, one doesn’t know why she is there or what has happened. Very tense, good opening. One of the Sheilas is talking in a ridiculous Ozzie accent, you know the one with inflections at the end of every sentence. Immediately you are removed from the situation and no longer focus on the strange situation because one of the women seemingly has an absurd way of talking.

The loss to Australia’s film and TV industry will continue until you learn how to talk properly.

Given even only a moderate proportion of whites in Australia have Aussie accents it doesn’t go down well as a contemporary reality

The accents are supposed to sound like that, the actors would have spent many hours rehearsing to sound that way. They don't talk like that in real life, the characters are middle class bogans you cant expect them to sound like they are reading the news or weather.

I can watch any show or film with foreign accents any day of the week and have no trouble understanding what is being said, if other people cant understand plain English they can just press the subtitle button.

Look at all the Aussie actors who went from soapies to Hollywood, they don't sound any different now than they did on Home and Away or Neighbours. Accents are adjusted whenever necessary to fit the character.

what a lot of rubbish.,aussies talk aussie…...why bung on a false accent ….why do ya hate us??????

has to be a real reason ,,,,,,,,,

why don't ya tell the truth here instead of using childish paybacks ..

A bigger issue is the state of your bottom.

• Aussie Battler

New best friends HDB and Old Coward , both desperate for friends !!

Methinks that's much ado about nothing mate.

That's ridiculous, the accents I can't understand are Scottish and some pommy accents, it's almost impossible to understand Prince Charles, he mumbles his way through speeches playing with his ear and sleave cuff, that upper class monotone from aristocrats is mumbling at it's best.

Anyway I told you before Australians don't have an accent other English speaking Counties do.....

No but good writers are a problem

• John

Big ol' stinky BS.

I don't think it's a big issue, thanks to closed captioning.