My mom doesnt want me to quit my job?

Im 26 years old first of all. I really want to quit my job. I am a female doing hard work in a factory. I like all my coworkers and managers/assistants. However, its the work that is killing me. I hurt my lower back really bad with bending too much and lifting heavy things. It hasnt been the same. I recently hurt my wrist on my right arm and now I did something to my neck where I cannot turn my head. I keep going to hed around 7:30pm which isnt like me.

My mom tells me that she doesnt want me to quit and I have to think of it like “its a job not your career”. Well i am fed up i want a job with my college degree! I had one but they treated me so bad once my mom realized that she was telling me its okay to quit (my mom is in the same field i am in from college) But for now according to her I need the current job because of my apartment, wedding to my fiancé, health insurance since I am not married yet

What do I do ? I hate this job and feel stuck. I have a part time job which I know would love to give me more hours but i understand if I get sick no insurance. I never been in such pain in my life

• kim

You need to see a doctor and get this job related injury on record. Do now look up date and time and exact place describing what happened and resulting symptoms. Your doctor could prescribe some time off. Anyway any further symptoms would be paid by workmanship compensation if your in the USA. I would do as doctor says and then find a different job or ask for a different position where you work now because of your injury.

You're 26 and should not have coordinate quitting a job with your mom.

• Alan H

Seek medical advice.

But, in the meantime, ensure that you have another job to switch to.

Rebel against her

If you majored in something you can't stand to do you're going to need to retrain. Working grunt jobs for the rest of your life isn't a great plan. So look for something else in the unskilled sector that isn't as physically demanding and then switch to that job while you study or receive vocational training to be able to do something better. Paying the rent and having health insurance is mandatory, having a big wedding is not. So prioritize. Either do a courthouse wedding for $150 or don't get married until you can afford to do what you want. The typical "princess for a day" wedding is for those who can easily afford it. That's not you at this point in your life.

If you can afford to leave that job (i.e., you have enough savings to survive until you get another job, you can live off your part-time job in the meantime), then leave. Amicable coworkers and managers are nice, but they can only do so much. Your health should be priority. If you don't have it, you can't work at all and then how are you going to continue forward?

It's okay to quit if you're being mistreated or just don't feel satisfied, because ultimately if you're not happy at your job, you're going to be less willing to go to work and just be miserable all the time. Why would you want to feel like that?

If money is a little tighter, then it might be better stay until you secure another job. But don't put it off! Actively look for a new job, something maybe related to your degree. At the same time, don't limit yourself to jobs that only fit in that category or jobs where there is not promise of growth or promotion. At your age with a college degree, it definitely makes more sense to think about having a career and not just working job to job, esp. if you're getting married, as it’s possible you two might think about buying a house someday or starting a family. A career provides stability and benefits and makes more sense for where you are in your life.

Good luck! :)

• Eva

Stop listening to your mother. You're a grown woman and it's time to make your own decisions. Start looking for another job, but keep this one until you find one since you need the insurance.

• Dave

Why on earth are you still acting like a child? You're 26, act like it. Do what you need to do. Start looking for a new job. Once you have one, quit your old. Not sure why that is so tough for your generation to understand...

• Kelly

Mom is absolutely right.

Most responsible adults don't walk out on their job with nothing to replace it with. A lot of people go to work everyday in pain, sick, etc but they need the paycheck to fund their lives and/or take care of their families.

Welcome to adulthood.

Start hunting and stay in this current job until you secure a more suitable post then.