Bad behaviour school?

I’m a teacher in a secondary school and I am sick to death of the continuous bad behaviour, bad attitude and lack of learning going on in my classes. The misbehaviour is at at all time high. Every student has some problem with being able to behave themselves. I am finding myself continuesly screaming or shouting at the class, giving detentions after school or on weekends, putting numerous pupils in isolation on a daily basis and having a number on behaviour monitoring reports. I have also tried calling parents, setting essays and writing lines explaining why the behaviour has been so bad. And setting extra homework and test papers if they have misbehaved. None of this puts them off misbehaving and I need some more help on punishing the misbehaviour. I find I’m loosing my voice by having to scream at students to get them to behave. I’m really needing some help as I’m loosing the will to live now.

• Elaine

You are asking for ideas for more punishing the misbehaviours! Since your current methods are obviously failing try punishing them by rewarding good behaviour. You could try a more humorous approach such as when the kids start to misbehave tell them to pause for a minute as you want to sell tickets to the event and make a profit. Tell them you want to invite the entire student body to watch. Tell the class that the onus is on them to provide the popcorn, chips, pop, hot dogs, etc. The class gets to keep the profits from the sales of the refreshments.

You could tell the student something along the lines of, "I know you don't want to be here but neither do I. I'd rather be sitting on a beach, attending a Name Your Rock Group, watching the latest Name Your Sport Game" But here we are so let's make the best of it".

Another thing you can try is to have the students themselves make the class rules and punishments for violations. The only conditions you make are the entire class votes on either the adoption or rejection of each item.

Another "punishment" for the students is you make them take the responsibility for their learning. In one of my classes where some of the students had behaviour problems I told them that it wasn't important to me if they passed or failed as I already had the credit. In that same class I told the students to rearrange their seating so that the ones who weren't interested in learning, being at school were to sit in the row beside the windows. They could read, chatter amongst themselves, play games. The only stipulation was they weren't to interrupt the rest of the class. Problem was solved in less than a week.

Teens like to push your buttons and if they get a reaction they will continue the behaviour. Stop reacting.

As you have discovered the "negative punishments" you are using don't work.

Have you spoken to your colleagues and asked for their advice?

It's all part of the job. Most kids are rude and obnoxious. They will continue to misbehave because they don't have anything to loose. I'm a teacher and I only work at private schools because generally those are the kids that want to learn, and who have parents that care about their education. The public system is a joke.

• Ray

Screaming and shouting is not the solution. Part of the solution is to seek help from the school management team. They need to help you to develop classroom management techniques. Asking for help is not a sign of weakness. I base this observation on over 47 years teaching and educational management experience.

By the way I hope you are not teaching English since you obviously do not know the difference between "loosing" and "losing".

Maybe try the alternative approach. Instead of punishing bad behavior (which isn't working) perhaps try rewarding good behavior. And stop the screaming - this will not work if it is done regularly.