Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 5 months ago

What can you do if salt makes a lot of food taste better but you want to eat less salt?

Update:

Thanks everyone and thanks 'bay'... Great tips!

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Rick
    Lv 5
    5 months ago
    Best answer

Heart failure and cardiac bypass surgery forced me to drastically reduce sodium intake. What surprised me was that after a couple of months of not eating salt my old recipes tasted very salty even though I had reduced the salt quantities in them. Just start to be conscious of the salt you use. Put your salt shaker away. Use salt when you cook, but make an effort to use less. Your tastes will change. Remember the strictest heart healthy diet still allows 1500 mg of sodium. So if you have to salt your scrambled eggs (or whatever) salt them. Sodium is an essential mineral, your body requires some.

• Rick
      Lv 5
      5 months agoReport

Thanks for the BA, Rick.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

i'm addicted to salt, can't help myself!! tried to stop/cut back before but it never lasts. now i don't even try. i limit myself in so many other ways that i just don't want to have to do it with salt, too.

however, i've cut out a lot of bad habits... used to think it was ok to chomp on crackers and chips at night, now i never eat them. that's a lot of salt right there. cut sugar out of my diet. damn that hurts! i do NOT eat fast food or processed foods... both huge sources of unnecessary salt. also, i drink enough fluids to stay hydrated.

• 5 months ago

Gradually cut down on salt & stay away from canned & frozen dinners

• 5 months ago

Damn dude that's tough I have no idea :/

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • denise
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

You can buy low sodium salt from the store.

• 5 months ago

Salt is a lazy seasoning. I almost never add it to anything. Use other spices to season your food and you'll forget salt exists.

• 5 months ago

Buy a salt substitute. They should be on the shelf next to the salt.

• 5 months ago

I will not eat the food f too much salty

• patty
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

i only have salt on chips.potato and eggs

• 5 months ago

You can eat less salt, and over time you'll get used to food tasting that way. Then when you go back to your previous level of salt everything will taste very salty.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.