catching asked in HealthDental · 5 months ago

Are you fully knocked out for wisdom teeth removal?

I am getting my wisdom teeth removed soon. My surgeon told me I will be a little awake so I can move my head and stuff, but he said it will be like "taking a nap." I am afraid because my neighbor told me she was partially awake for her wisdom teeth removal and she could hear the tools and such and it was scary to her, and she said she would rather just have been knocked out. I am wondering if what im having is the standard procedure or am I going to be able to hear what is going on like my neighbor. Thank you,

I had a local and was fully awake. However, many I know were totally out cold in the dentist's chair according to what they said. With the needle you go totally out. With gas, some do and some don't.

• GEEGEE

Not me. Just novacaine even for an impacted one. This past Friday, 4 days ago, I had a non wisdom tooth extracted. Not pleasant but not overly traumatic. No tools were electric so not sure what she heard that was upsetting.

you will not feel anything.

But you need someone to go with you and take you home

No, I believe you can make the request tho

It depends. In my area you can choose if you go under general or a series of locals. I chose a general and went to sleep.

• Rana

Impacted wisdom teeth may erupt only partially or not at all. An impacted ... wisdom teeth. You'll likely need your impacted wisdom tooth pulled if it results in problems such as: ... How many wisdom teeth need to be removed?

You are sometimes.

I was, though I had very brief moments of semi-conscious a few times. Heard the dentist drilling and the nurse talking to him. Didnt feel any pain though and fell back unconscious almost as soon as I woke up. They also sounded muffled so I dont know what they were saying. I heard giggling from the female who was in the room.

• Sky

It entirely depends on how involved the extraction is. If the teeth have roots that will make extraction easy, you'll just get a local anesthetic. If the roots are very deep and tangled in the jaw bone, that will require surgery that will likely require a general (total) anesthetic that knocks you out. Consult your dentist about your concerns. And don't listen to the neighbor; everybody's wisdom tooth extraction is unique to them, so the neighbor's experience will not be the same as your experience.

Some dental surgeons give the choice between general anesthesia (fully knocked out) or local anethseisa (numbness) and nitrous oxide.