I am a widow (8Years), i collect social security disability. Do i have to file a return federal or state?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

Not if that is your only income.

• 6 months ago

Federal: Not if that is your ONLY source of income.

State: Without knowing what state, NO ONE can answer correctly.

• 6 months ago

If this is your only income.............no.

• 6 months ago

Not if that is your only income.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Judith
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Only if your total income from all sources equals $25K or more (half of your social security plus any other income). Then you will owe taxes on a portion of your social security benefit. This is an IRS issue - not a social security issue. If you owe income taxes you can have income taxes deducted from your social security benefits.

Source(s): I was a SS claims rep for 32 yrs.
  • 6 months ago

If that is your only income, no. If you do have other income, that other income plus one half of your total SS benefit for the year cannot add up to more than $25,000. When it does, some of your SS may be taxable.

That is at the federal level.

At the state level, it's different in every state.

https://www.disabilitysecrets.com/resources/social...

• Judy
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

If the ss is your only income, no. If you have other income to, maybe, depending on amount.

• 6 months ago

Maybe.

If that is your only income, then probably not.

If you also have other income, then probably yes.

• 6 months ago

You don't have to file anything.

• martin
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Probably your payments put you in the category of people who must file a return. If you find the special rules on Social Security result in your paying too much tax, then you should arrange to have tax withheld from your payments next year.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.