Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 5 months ago

My parents don't approve of my boyfriend?

I am 21 years old and my boyfriend is 3 years older than me (24). We've been dating for 5 months and I decided I wanted my parents to meet him. My parents are heavily involved in my life they have supported me and are the best parents in the world but they don't like my boyfriend. When we had dinner at there house it was more than awkward, words couldn't describe how much I wish I would disappear. My parents were asking him about his beliefs,career,and tattoos (my parents hate tattoos) .My boyfriend tried to be calm and collective as possible but he spoke without thinking when giving them his answers. He told them he was a atheist and he worked as a artist. His voice doesn't help either because it could sound indifferent to others. The rest of the dinner was just awkward periods of silence. After the dinner the next day my dad calls me telling me I shouldn't be dating guy like him and he is too old for me. Then he starts telling me I am on the road of evil if I continue with him and I won't get no where in life. Now he thinks I am doing drugs,breaking the law,and having unsafe sex with strangers because I am with him.I don't want to break up with him but it seems my parents can't understand I am not child anymore but I do want them to get on the better terms how can I get them to like each other or at least no hate each other.Any ideas?

The only time your parents should not like your boyfriend is if he’s:

1) mean to you

2) he’s a total loser

3) he cheats on you.

Given that he does none of these things they should mind their own business

• alexander3 months agoReport

they support her ad she is having casual sex with a boy. she may be physically mature but is still dependent on her parents so is a child. she will ed a man to support her at some point and no gentleman will bacon her sl tty behavior

The day you turn 21, your parents lose all control over you. Your life is yours and nobody else's. You can do whatever you want, the same as any other citizen.

They don't have to accept your boyfriend. If you are happy that's all that matters. A three year age gap is nothing.

Now, if you were 20 and he was 23, that would be a problem, because you would be under 21.

• Mystic

as casinos until 21, can't rent a car from most places until 25, etc. But you are very much so allowed to date/have sex with any other consenting adult once you hit 18.

Then just date him. Idk

Do what you think is best.

• Mystic

Too bad for them. You're 21 - you're a legal adult. Your boyfriend is also a legal adult. 3 years is NOTHING! If he treats you right and you're happy together, that's all that matters. No one else has an opinion. Your parents are being unreasonable and overdramatic. Tell them it's YOUR life and you'll do as you please and date who you please. If they respect you, they also have to respect your boyfriend when he is around.

That's why I dont take my girlfriends to meet my family

Dump him. But your young yet so ask your mother or older sister how to crush a man's soul first. The goal of any women is to destroy a man from the inside.

Okay first of all you sound like you don't want your parents to treat you like a child anymore that's understandable so the first thing you need to do is stop seeking their approval. The person they approve of may be someone you don't even like at all. Second get some space between you guys your parents being so heavily involved when you're a grown *** woman is too much. I knew as soon as you said they were heavily involved that it was gonna be hard on you and your bf. If he makes you happy then stay with him and don't worry about your parents. You can't live your life trying to please them that's not why you're here. Do what makes YOU happy.

• Emily Rose

You feel how you feel and that's fine but that's not my problem i don't really care about your opinion.

Oh well they can’t control you at that age

You know I’m surprised at myself. I’m going to advise you not to ignore your parent’s advice. I was with a guy who’s family were super overbearing and my friends and family were telling me he wasn’t a good match.

My parents thought I was marrying out of my league because I went to private school and graduated college and he was a drop out although he had a good job. My parents also thought I’d be bored with him since he had no culture. My brother who was bisexual found him judgmental and opted to skip the wedding. He told me I was marrying into the wrong family.

Well I ignored all the naysayers and married him anyway, but they were right- he was a nasty, passive aggressive jerk. Within six months I fell into a deep depression but was too ashamed to leave him. He put me through over 25 years of hell including a decade of fighting for custody when I finally got the strength to kick him out.

Your dad sees something you don’t dear. Leave this man.NOW.

• Jedi Jan

It is a pity you had children to this man, and surely by staying they also suffered. Everyone makes mistakes, some in relationships too, but it is more important what you do after the mistake that matters. Doing parents bidding by marrying someone they prefer is certainly no guarantee of happiness!

My daughters never brought home a boy that I liked. So what? He's your boyfriend, not your parents' boyfriend. They don't have to like him, and at 21, you can date whomever you like, whether your parents approve or not.

• Mystic

Who said they were supporting her financially? She just said she had great, supportive parents. Having supportive parents means they are all for your dreams in life, encourage you, etc. She did not say they still financially support her.