When are taxes due this year?

Yeah you know I never got a letter from the IRS telling me when taxes are due this year. Is this a new Trump thing? When is the due date now?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Best answer

The due date for taxes has been the same for my entire life, and I am probably at least twice your age.

The IRS has NEVER sent notices about when they are due.

• 6 months ago

If you own a business, then taxes are due quarterly. See the form 1040ES instructions. If you just opened the business now, the next installment would be Sept 15 or so.

If you worked for someone else, taxes were probably withheld from your paycheck already. The normal time to file a return is by April 15th, but if you didn't make it, just get it in as soon as you can. If you were owed a refund, you might not need to file a return at all, but if so, you don't get your excess taxes paid back.

• Amy
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

January 15, April 15 (except in MA or ME), June 17, September 16

• 6 months ago

Nobody gets a letter from the IRS telling them when their taxes are due. Taxes are ALWAYS due April 15th (or the first business day afterward if weekends or holidays are involved).

If you request an extension for filing your tax return, you can get up to six additional months, until October, to file the return. But the tax is still due in April and what is not paid on time is subject to penalty and interest.

It has been like this since 1954, when Congress moved it back one month from March 15, what it had been since 1918. Nothing at all to do with Trump or any other president.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

"Yeah you know I never got a letter from the IRS telling me when taxes are due this year. "

It is NOT the responsibility of the government to tell you you have to pay taxes, or even how much. It is YOUR responsibility to find out how much and when.

Any and all notices regarding taxes, such as auto excise, real estate and such, are merely conveniences the government provides. But if the notice is "lost in the mail" or never mailed, it does not nullify your liability.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Uh, no it's not a new thing, they don't send out letters. They used to send out forms, but quit that several years ago, The due date hasn't changed, April 15 unless that's on a weekend or holiday, then the next business day. Unless you live under a rock, you should have heard or seen it mentioned. You're late.

• RICK
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

And they just stopped in 2010

• 6 months ago

It's always due on April 15th... they never send letters since everyone knows already.

• 6 months ago

Nobody gets a letter from the IRS reminding them that taxes are due. It's due on April 15th (or following business day) EVERY YEAR. If you missed the date, you owe penalties, and you can't use "no reminder" as an excuse.

• 6 months ago

It is always April 15th or the next closest Monday if it is on a weekend. The IRS site will also tell you.

• 6 months ago

Your annual return is due 4/15 unless this falls on a weekend or holiday.

The IRS does not send out reminders.

Other taxes have various due dates. It is your job to remember them.

For those required to make estimated income tax payments, the next due date is Monday 6/17.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.