Which word is correct?

"Don't let go of the rope!" he shouted (over / through) the roar of the storm.

Thanks!

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago
    Best answer

I'm going to differ with most people here. over means "louder than (the storm)". Through would mean at about the same noise level. if he said it over the storm, the person would hear it well. if he said it through the storm (the noise of the storm), the person would hear it but it might (likely would) be partly lost in the background noise of the storm.

You are in effect saying how loud the storm noise is when you decide to use "Over" or "through". Really bad storms can be freight-train loud. No shouting over that.

I have been in lots of situations where it is not truly possible to talk over the noise. you simply fight to get your message through, often using hand signals and stuff to help get the idea across.

• 5 months ago

I don't see why you shouldn't use either. Obviously if you are heard 'over' the roar of the storm you would have to shout a bit louder than merely 'through'.

• bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Absolutely. As I said in my reply, 'I don't see why you shouldn't use either [word]'.

• 5 months ago

over is correct.

• 5 months ago

You could use either, although I personally think "over" fits best.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

over is the proper grammatical term

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

A native speaker would probably go with over.

Talking or shouting over a noise is an idiomatic usage.

• John P
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

On further thought, I might feel it stronger to shout: "Hang on to that rope!" In any story of that dramatic sort, there are usually several ways to shout a vital order.

• audrey
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

I think over would sound better.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

'Over' would suggest he is shouting louder than the storm. 'Through' suggests that he is shouting but not very well heard as the storm is there but still able to hear him. So whichever one you are implying would be the on to go for.

• David
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

The word 'over' is more suitable.

• Cei
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

"over" would be correct

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.