Which word is correct?

"Don't let go of the rope!" he shouted (over / through) the roar of the storm.

Thanks!

I'm going to differ with most people here. over means "louder than (the storm)". Through would mean at about the same noise level. if he said it over the storm, the person would hear it well. if he said it through the storm (the noise of the storm), the person would hear it but it might (likely would) be partly lost in the background noise of the storm.

You are in effect saying how loud the storm noise is when you decide to use "Over" or "through". Really bad storms can be freight-train loud. No shouting over that.

I have been in lots of situations where it is not truly possible to talk over the noise. you simply fight to get your message through, often using hand signals and stuff to help get the idea across.

I don't see why you shouldn't use either. Obviously if you are heard 'over' the roar of the storm you would have to shout a bit louder than merely 'through'.

• bluebellbkk

Absolutely. As I said in my reply, 'I don't see why you shouldn't use either [word]'.

over is correct.

You could use either, although I personally think "over" fits best.

over is the proper grammatical term

A native speaker would probably go with over.

Talking or shouting over a noise is an idiomatic usage.

• John P

On further thought, I might feel it stronger to shout: "Hang on to that rope!" In any story of that dramatic sort, there are usually several ways to shout a vital order.

• audrey

I think over would sound better.

'Over' would suggest he is shouting louder than the storm. 'Through' suggests that he is shouting but not very well heard as the storm is there but still able to hear him. So whichever one you are implying would be the on to go for.

• David

The word 'over' is more suitable.

• Cei

"over" would be correct