Should the UK extradite Assange to the USA or Sweden?

The UK just signed an extradition order which will allow Assange to be sent to the US if cleared by the courts. The Swedish prosecutors reopened their rape case against him though and he initially fled to the Ecuadorian embassy to avoid his case against the Swedish Prosecution Authority. If he goes to the US instead of Sweden he would have effectively avoided that case for a second time.

Which crime should take precedence: rape or espionage?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

He should be allowed back to Australia all he did was expose corruption in world politics

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Should the UK extradite Assange to the USA or Sweden?

No.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

USA because he leaked top secrete information

• 5 months ago

The rape case came first, so I would say this one should take precedence

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

He should be brought back to Australia as he's done nothing wrong, unless you think war criminals should escape any kind of accountability. Don't get me started on the rape allegation, that's complete BS.

• 5 months ago

That will be up to the UK courts.

• 5 months ago

It's a bit hard to compare the 2 cases, but I think he should answer the rape charge first than the espionage case.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

I doubt few in the UK care about where he goes. We have no interest in the asshole other than he skipped bail. The sooner he is gone the better as it's costing the UK taxpayer to keep him alive.

• Nancy
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

It could go either way. There is no set rule for this. Were I to guess, I'd say that the UK will find it in their best interest to extradite him to the US rather than to Sweden. That's simply because of the UK's and US's "special relationship" and because the US is in a position to put a lot more diplomatic pressure on the UK than Sweden is. That doesn't mean that the crime he is alleged to have committed in Sweden is a lesser crime.

What will probably happen is Assange will first face his charges of espionage in the US. Sweden, which just reopened its case in May, will continue with its investigation and continue gathering evidence while that happens. Whether or not Assange is found guilty of the charges of espionage in the US, if Sweden still wants to question Assange, which is the current situation, the US will then probably invite Sweden to question Assange in the US, but if Sweden wants to charge Assange with rape, which Sweden hasn't done and isn't at the point of doing as of now, the US would then likely extradite Assange to Sweden to face those criminal charges on the condition that, if he's been convicted of espionage in the US, he be returned to the US to serve out his prison sentence in the US, after the completion of which he'll be extradited back to Sweden to serve out any prison sentence there.

• 5 months ago

Espionage. He can be extradited then to Sweden. The case in Sweden is not strong. He tricked two women ( that we know of ) into unprotected sex during consensual sexual relations. His argument is once they found out he was rooting both of them they conspired against him out of revenge.

• old timer
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Oh you want details, the tooth fairy is an imaginary fairy that leaves money in exchange for childrens teeth. oops, maybe you do believe in the tooth fairy.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.