I bought a Yamaha YPT-400 keyboard from my friend and I want to use the midi capability but I need help?

So it's kinda a long story but basically I bought this keyboard from my friend and she told me it's super old and she could never get the MIDI to work. But I thought I am good at figuring this sort of thing out so I figured I could do it. I got the MIDI to USB cable and connected it to my MacBook Air expecting to be able to use it with GarageBand. That didn't work so I did some research and found that maybe this keyboard wasn't compatible with Mac OS. So I ran bootcamp on my Mac to be able to run Windows 10. I got that working and tried to connect my keyboard with the USB cable. I got it connected and I have had better success with it, but I have no software to use for MIDI on Windows and I don't know what will work with this old keyboard. I want to get software like GarageBand for Windows but that's not really possible. I need help finding software I can use that works with this keyboard and Windows 10. Please help me!

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Lv 7
    1 year ago
    Favourite answer

those "to USB" connectors don't work unless you have software that supports it.

even printers which use USB need drivers to work properly.

what you need is a MIDI capture box, which uses USB, but also comes with capture software (and drivers).

they aren't as cheap as those adaptors, but work much better.

• There was a mode for music creation that came with the software for Creative X-Fi sound cards; the others were entertainment and gaming.

Since such software used to come with sound cards, I hope you'll keep looking.

https://youtu.be/ocsxTUZa60I

Youtube thumbnail

Good luck.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.