how to set up new router?

My parents want better internet and bought an expensive router onliine. Set it up do you just plug it in and you re good? Or, do you have to like call the internet provider and all that fancy stuff. If it s some other way, how do you do that

6 Answers

Relevance
  • SRΛSC
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

It would require some configuration depending on what your current set up is.

• 6 months ago

A better router isn't going to give you faster internet it'll give you more coverage in the house. The router comes with a pretty simple set of directions just follow them and you can set up your router quite easily

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

RTFM

Is the modem model on your ISP's supported list of devices?

• 6 months ago

The router is rarely the problem.

If it is the Internet Service Provider (ISP) will change it.

Slow service is usually ISP central Servers, or the users own machine.

Sometimes the Line on the poles.

When my system failed (AT&T) the TECH just plugged in the new router and gave me the WiFi Number (which is a label attached).

BTW, it was a problem on the DSL pole line not the router.

• Kodiak6 months agoReport

so there's a chance that this router change won't provide any difference

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

If you didn't get it through their service provider, it wont come preconfigured with their account settings, so you'll need to contact whoever they get their internet from to set up the router.

• The provider owns everything up to the modem. The router is your business. Most are pretty much plug-and-play anymore and they have the network name and password printed on the router itself (or on a label that's affixed to the router)

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.