Why doesn t my accountant count rent as an expenditure?

I went to be accountant, to have my total income for the year to be counted and sent to HMRC. But when I showed receipts for my household rents, service charges, council tax, utility Bill s and saudry debts as an expenditure, it wasnt accepted. Why is this?

It IS counted as expenditure. But not as CLAIMABLE expenditure.

Your personal expenses are not business expenditures. Everyone has to live somewhere, and if you have to pay rent, or if you own property and pay a mortgage and property taxes, you can't charge them off to the business. If you use a portion of your dwelling for business, you may be able to deduct a proportional amount as a business expense.

Your rent is not business-related.

There is an allowance for the additional costs of running your business from home, this is only £208 pa. You cannot claim household expenses.

Are you talking about for your taxes or just a simply accounting of where your money went. These things typically aren't tax deductible so maybe that's why. However, for a simply accounting of where all your money rent he should take all this into account - I'm guessing this was a tax accounting and again, these things aren't typically tax deductible.

• Tavy

Unless you are renting business premises this is your home, it's not tax deductible, it's not an office., even if you work from home.

If you had asked him he would have told you why.

UK.

I am not in the UK but, I would assume that those expenses are not deductible even if you file a self-assessment.

https://www.crunch.co.uk/knowledge/tax/working-fro...

However, this should be a question for your accountant.