Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 5 months ago

My toddler refuses to listen to me, any tips?

I’m a single, first time mom to my son. He’s 2 years old and into EVERYTHING. I’ve done all I know to make him listen and he just doesn’t. I don’t have anyone to help me or give me advice. Can anyone give me any tips on how to deal with it? (Please be nice I’m trying my best)

He's ONLY two - what did you expect?

At that age, they are into exploring and learning new things. They do not understand what they need to do, including listening to you. Show some understanding for that. Also seek out a professional who can properly guide you. Your doctor probably can direct you to a good resource. Best of luck in being a parent. It isn't easy, but can be very rewarding. Hope you do the right thing. Please do not "Smack him in the mouth" as someone suggested. That is just bad parenting and can land you in jail.

Don't hit him but use a squirt bottle to squirt him with when he is doing something wrong.

I mean, you said that he is two, right? Two year olds can't really grasp the concept of obedience; they can understand things like "no" or "stop", but I don't know how much beyond that, considering I have no kids. As for the people that have suggested spankings, I'm gonna disagree and say that no child under the age of 4 should ever be spanked.

It's not that he isn't listening, its because your son has limited grasp of language, intellectual concepts and attention, which is normal at this age. And hence, why homes are "baby proofed".

First, gain your child's attention so that he is solely focused on you. This can be the hardest part because the everything in the world to a small child is a big distraction. If you can't do that, you can't communicate anything to him. Second, realize that children of his age have a very weak "working memory" and "short term" memory. Thus for him to learn to follow your instruction, you must teach him over and over again before he is going to grasp what you mean. It can be tedious, but is effective and less necessary when he gets older (thank God). Hang in there.

• GEEGEE

It's a phase. Haven't you ever heard of the "terrible twos?" Kids that age are naturally curious and their favorite word is often NO! Taking him to a park or just letting him run around the back yard will help him burn energy and tire him out. Arguing is useless so present him with as few options as possible (this or that?)

if your son always get on your nerves ,you can lock him away in his rooms for some times ,don't lock him out of the house ,don't hit your children ,hitting the children don't work ,sometimes make him more rebellious ,it won't be long before he will gradually quiet down ,

Get the book 1-2-3 Magic and read it. There's also a video. It's about how to discipline so your child will stop getting into trouble.

• Jack

You cannot reason with the unreasonable. You cannot reason with a wall. You cannot reason with a drunkard. And you cannot reason with some 2 year olds who think that they are the boss. Stop trying to reason with a 2 year old. Tell him once. Then bring consequences with a gentle reminder that he was given instruction and warned of the consequences. Take his toys. Put him in a corner. Appropriately paddle him...not abusively. Do what works for him. My son didn't respond to paddling. We had to find other methods. Good luck.

Be honest. Be respectful. Be consistent. Be loving. That's about it. Kids respond to that. They don't like being lied to. They don't like being disrespected. They don't like guessing games. And they love being loved.

just smack him upside the head