I have a question about a potential IRS scam.?

Update:

Someone received a post card in the mail saying she didn't pay last year's taxes. Then she actually sent a copy of her cancelled check to the address on the card!

I have a hard time believing the IRS sends post cards. Does anyone have advice ? Thanks

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Dee
    Lv 4
    5 months ago
    Best answer

She should close that bank account, and notify the IRS about the scam at phishing@irs.gov

• 5 months ago

Scam. Tell her to call the bank to see what she needs to do to protect her account.

• 5 months ago

close the account and go into witness protection

• 5 months ago

So ask it.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

It is DEFINITELY a scam. The IRS doesn't use post cards.

• 5 months ago

its a scam, have her close out her account.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

absolutely a scam. She should contact her bank and probably close the account.

• 5 months ago

Its a scam. Throw out the postcard and forget it. NOt a bad idea to close this account since she just sent a voided check with all her bank info to a thief.

• Eva
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

The IRS does not send postcards. If you owe them money, they send you a letter. If you ignore enough letters, they send a certified one. Your friend should close their bank account and open a new one.

• Patricia
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

thank you Eva that's exactly what i told her. (she got mad LOL). But honestly, in the scheme of things, it may not have a funny ending.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

She is not real bright.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.