It feels so helpless dealing with the owed money I didn't owe?

1 years and 8 months ago my son got into ER for his broken arm. I received few bills from the hospital and paid them accordingly. The last bill was $136.30, which I paid. I have proof of payment evidence for it. For the past over a year, I first got calls/mails from the hospital to ask for the money. I provided... show more 1 years and 8 months ago my son got into ER for his broken arm. I received few bills from the hospital and paid them accordingly. The last bill was $136.30, which I paid. I have proof of payment evidence for it. For the past over a year, I first got calls/mails from the hospital to ask for the money. I provided proof of payment evidence by fax and mail on different occasions. However the account was turned to collection agency anyway. You know what, the agency told me unknown stories that this amount was refunded to me by error. I looked all my accounts to see such refund. Nope, I don't see any. My credit score is down substantially due to the collection. Telling them they made a mistake doesn't help. I'm about to give up. I will give them the $136.30 to make them go away. It has been too much of my time spent on this. Unless someone tells me there is a way out, I will just give them the money. Feels so defeated!