I am a beneficiary on a policy that my sister left me, before she died can someone else claim to be a beneficiary after her death?

• GEEGEE

There can be multiple beneficiaries for one policy. Depends on what the paperwork says. People can claim whatever they want to claim, but the insurance company would only honor the paperwork on file at the time of her death.

• Kelly

Are you A beneficiary or THE beneficiary?

If you are the only one listed, you will receive it all. If there is more than one, you will split it how it was requested on the policy. In mine my husband gets half and my kids split evenly the other half.

Insurance is paid to the beneficiary listed on the policy on file with the insurance company, the will is not sufficient to change that.

https://law.freeadvice.com/estate_planning/estate_...

No, she may have listed 2 (or more) beneficiaries though- in that case you would split it. The insurance company can tell you who is listed.

• Eva

Beneficiaries are named on a policy and cannot be changed after the death of the policyholder. It is transferred by contract so someone else can't claim to be the beneficiary. Whoever the insurance company has listed is the one that receives it.

If they did, it would be fraud.