Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceOther - Education · 6 months ago

When a will's beneficiary is an unmarried partner...and that person dies,?

to whom does the estate pass per Virginia state law?

The partner's family or the estate owner's family or other?

Update:

The estate owner is alive and has not redone his will so the partner who died still is the only beneficiary.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

A will is generally written in a way that does not allow this to happen. So, for example, a person might state that his house goes to Miss Shackup per stirpes. That would mean that if Miss Shackup dies before the person who made the will her descendents will receive whatever was to come to her.

Otherwise the will can state something like 'in the event Miss Shackup predeceases me, my house goes to my three children . . .'.

No lawyer would allow a will to be written that did not have a contingent beneficiary. You need to read it more carefully.

• 6 months ago

To the deceased persons heirs. The person who died after it was willed to them... whoever they will it to.

• 6 months ago

The partner’s heirs.

• 6 months ago

To the beneficiaries of the estate of the person named as beneficiary in the will.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Bill B
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

Assuming you mean the person the estate was bequeathed was alive at the time of partner's death...To whomever the recipient of the estate chose as beneficiary of their will.

EDIT: Then the estate owner needs to do a new will or the whole thing is going to be a huge hassle with every Tom, Dick, and Harry relative/friend coming out of the woodwork to claim a piece.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.