Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentLaw & Legal · 6 months ago

Need advice on being forced to resign from a job?

Hi I’m working as a tutor and I felt the reason why I was “let go” of my job was not a strong enough. There was a lot of flaws and isn’t a strong reason to make me resign even though I wanted to work another year. In addition they decided to tell me last min to resign. The main points were that I have been working for too long here and they felt that the I was becoming friendly/too nice to the student instead of being a authority figure. Based on the evaluations we get, they see that I have not change which is why they wanted to have someone new and forced me to resign. To sum it all up I think that I was judge unfairly and wasn’t given any warning about this issues through my whole time working. I was wondering if I should fight to keep my job to the head boss or just resign.

It's better to resign by yourself before they fire you

But there can be a condition if you have signed an agreement with the employer regarding the resignation terms and condition

or

you are a member of any union in particular firm then you can oppose the employer

very much up to you

• Kelly

Where are you located? In the US if you're at "at will" employee... they don't need a reason to fire you, they can fire you just because you want to short of a union contract that states otherwise or civil rights violations.

Getting fired or forced to resign is the same thing. Let them fire you.

What they're likely trying to do is forcing you to quit to avoid paying unemployment taxes to the state if you qualify for unemployment. However, even in cases where you quit you can still receive it especially if you're being forced to resign.

Either resign or be fired. Your choice. They have a legitimate reason to get rid of you. You are supposed to be in a teacher/student relationship, not a friend to another friend relationship. It's a fine line but you either did already or you are getting too close to crossing the line.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.

You can "resign" or they can fire you. they can't force you to resign.

• zipper

Unless they have a union of some type, not very likely. Then you could get an attorney to file a job suite. If it is worth it to you! In any case GOOD LUCK!

You can't fight it. Unless you are union or have a contract they can fire you for any reason or none.

it is just better to resign as they could just fire you.

You weren't forced to resign. Resignation is voluntary. You could have said "NO" in which case they would have fired you.

"I think that I was judge unfairly" That's a pretty normal response when you get the heave-ho. However, that doesn't make it true. In any case, what you feel is irrelevant. They do not owe you a job.

• Judy

Where qre you? Most places in the US they don't need a reason to let you go unless you have a contract that says otherwise.