Rylee asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 5 months ago

Ip Addresses?

I visited a pretty sketchy website called ‘live gore’ and watched a disturbing video. I didn’t make a account or anything, but a idea popped into my mind and scared me. Could anyone get my IP address and link it to where I live?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • DonnaB
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

I am a moderator at a computer help forum which gives me the permissions to view IP's, even those of mere visitors who are not logged in to their registered forum profile. I also have a plugin on my browser where I can chose to research at the WhoIs site (just to name one site for IP search) to find which ISP it might comes from or a specific area of a country. To pin point the exact house/street address I would have to be the FBI with a warrant from the high courts.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

No not really.

They would have to go to the fbi which would have to go to the police and get a search warrant on the cable provider and track down the individual that was using the ip address at that certain time.

It costs a lot of money i mean a whole lot to do that

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

My answer is yes.

I have my own websites, and I also host my websites. I made it as well, so I am familiar with websites. The odds of someone coming to find you are low to zero if you have done nothing wrong.

If you ever visit my websites then you would automatically give me certain information about you. I won't tell you everything. Because this isn't something you are asking about, and I think it's most likely above your level of comprehension.

• 5 months ago

With enough effort, they can. However, they won't spend the time or money.

Next time, visit sketchy with say, the tor browser (a version of firefox that goes through the tor network). It hides you really well. https://www.torproject.org/

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Enigma
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

The only one that knows your actual address is you ISP.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Can trace to your city.

• 5 months ago

Technically yes, which is why hackers go out of their way to hide theirs.

• SBR32277
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

@Dustin, yes legally, but hackers can and have hacked into companies that were supposed to secure our personal information.

• Bill-M
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

An IP address can not be traced back to your home address. If you trace an IP address, as far as you will get is the Internet Service provider that owns the IP address. Only your ISP can see who is using his IP/s.

• 5 months ago

As Anonymous said, all websites collect certain data from you when you visit. This includes your IP address, type of device, etc. Your IP address cannot be used to locate you directly. It will show your approximate town, but sometimes it is very inaccurate. There's really nothing that an average person could do with your IP.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Every site you ever visit has access to your IP address. They could share that to the public if they wanted to.

However, the IP won’t give them your specific location. It’ll give them your town but that’s it, pretty useless on its own.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.