Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthAlternative Medicine · 6 months ago

How necessary is vitamin D supplement? Have heard "most" are deficient, according to Drs. But most ppl get is from added synthetic D.?

Fortified foods. Most natural foods do not have it..some mushrooms have it if exposed to light. But ppl are said to get vit D from sun exposure. In the fortified foods, some brands get D from sheep wool, some from a lichen, some from types of yeast or mushrooms. So is this really necessary to add to food everyday, if ppls food normally doesn't naturally have it.. Most people I know don't eat sheep wool. Why would most still be deficient if it's added to food all the time.how can anyone know for sure if it's an exact science or all just theory.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

It is not just a theory but it is clinically shown. That is not proof. But it seems like a good thing to supplement. For starters we wear clothes.

• k w
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

yup, ....D3 with k....amazon has reviews some are worthless but some are good, so read the reviews, you can check 4 start rated and above, and just read them anyways

• 6 months ago

the problem is that you can't get it from the sun in the Northern hemisphere for roughly 8 months of the year because its not high enough.

During summers when you can get it from the sun, people are advised to wear sunscreen and/or protective clothing which also limits sun exposure.

Back in the day, people ate fish and fish are a natural source of vitamin D. One of the few foods that does provide it...BUT now we are advised not to eat so much fish due to mercury poison.

I was one of those people deficient of D. I take a supplement every day.

Why am I deficient? I don't drink milk or orange juice, 2 big items that are supplemented. I also don't eat fish a lot.

• Pippin
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Fish was still never a large enough part of most diets to provide all the vitamin D they needed. And, despite the 'warnings' about mercury, it's STILL recommended as a healthy part of our diets. It's easy enough to avoid or limit the few types of fish that are dangerously high in mercury.

• 6 months ago

You need at least 20000 i.u. vitamin d3 daily, 500mcg vitamin k2 and 500mcg magnesium - these three work together. Nothing more is to say.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Supplements of any kind are generally not needed.

If all the primary ingredients are available for its normal functions, the human body does not engage in making things that are bad for its survival.--Dr. Fereydoon Batmanghelidj, M.D.

This doesn't just pertain to adverse health issues. As stated, it also includes the body's "normal functions", which means promoting the overall health.

• Andy C
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

All of science IS theory, moron. In natural settings, we'd be getting D from the SUN, like you mentioned.

Learn the difference between a theory and a hypothesis.

• Pippin
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Humans evolved at a time when we lived most of our lives outdoors, and wore few if any clothes most of the year. So we COULD make vitamin D from sunlight. And that is how nature intends us to get it. Foods don't contain it naturally.

WIth the arrival of civiilization, people began to live in houses and wear more and more clothing so they got less sunlight -- and less vitamin D. In past centuries, rickets (caused by vitamin D deficiency) became very common, (particularly among urban populations who got even less sunlight). It was discovered in the 19th century that cod liver oil prevented rickets (though they didn't yet understand why -- vitamins were still a mystery), and children were routinely dosed with it.

In the 20th century, more became understood about vitamin D, it began to be added to some foods (particularly milk), and mothers were instructed to give their babies 'sun-baths' virtually from birth. A 'healthy tan' was the goal for most people, and most probably did get enough sunlight to meet their needs, with or without codliver oil.

Fast forward to late 20th-21st century, and now we are told to avoid the sun. We spend even more time indoors on our computers and in our offices, and fear of skin cancer has us covered up again with clothing and/or sunscreen when we go out. AND, scientists have decided that our RDA of vitamin D is higher than has been thought. Few of us are deficient enough to develop rickets, but less severe deficiencies are common. And with adults rarely drinking enough milk (the main food that is fortified with it) to meet our needs some doctors will recommend that their patients take supplements.

Whether to do it or not is up to you. If you drink a lot of milk and spend time outdoors, you may be fine . Your doctor can check your levels easily enough so you can make an educated decision.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.