Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetProgramming & Design · 5 months ago

Is coding very difficult? Is javascript or python easy?

Someone told me you do not need a degree to be a software developer. This guy graduated with a CS degree. He said anyone can learn coding and you don't need math. So is python or javascript very difficult?

i have college level education but no technical background...

I believe what he said about not needing a degree in order to do it or learn it. I know a young girl who has no college degree and is a software developer, she does coding.

EddieJ, Why do you expect that I'd reveal her name to you?

• Andy T

Coding is very difficult WHEN the training wheels are off, and since JavaScript and Python happens to be pllatforms without much of training wheels to aid you to begin with...

It depend on how your logic is strong, so you have to be firstly clear all logic's and start from basic, then you able to learn it and not any degree required, if you are expert in coding.

Sololearn Android app 🤔

Coding is easy. Knowing how to attack a problem is not so easy. If you are a "junior coder" then some senior analyst has devised the solution and you would only be given pieces/parts to build. If you are no good at problem analysis, don't go into the coding field unless you want to be disappointed by getting nothing but grunt work.

Also, it is true that you can code without a degree. However, most companies for which I have worked required that to be promoted above junior coder, you needed a degree or a VERY long time as a grunt coder. If you have no higher ambitions such as systems analyst, go on without a degree. If you have ANY aspirations of becoming more than a coder, take your time and learn some new things first. I'm not trying to bust your chops. I'm telling you what I've seen in a career that started in industry in 1975. I retired in 2017. You do the math. I've been around the IT world a long time and I've seen folks whose grand schemes fell apart when they got passed over for promotion due to their lack of formal education.

And for every successful no-degree coder there will be at least several failures as coders despite their degree. As noted by champer, if your mind-set allows it, you can be good. If you can't see the forest for the trees (alternation of attention), you are looking in the wrong direction.

Coding is not difficult but its all about the passion, python is not difficult but you keep your self active with the latest trends will surely keep you happy and proactive with the coding world. So every coin is having two sides I will never say that its easy or difficult but it all depends on individual.

It really depends. It is more than just learning a new language, it requires a certain natural talent that cannot be taught. This is true in most if not all technical fields. Even with natural ability, coding can sometimes be a nightmare. It's not just about creating your own code but going behind others to fix their mistakes or simply make new alterations.

You don't need a degree to learn to program. What you do need is logic, at least a bit of discipline, plus a willingness to use the math that you should have learned in high school.

Is it easy? That depends on you. Some people get it right away, others have to work at it. Some never seem to get it. I frequently compare programming to playing a musical instrument. Mozart learned to play piano (clavier, actually) by 5, well enough to begin composing his own pieces. That's no indication of how much time and work it will take someone else to learn to play.

Half of the programmers I know personally don't have degrees in computer science. Most of them have degrees in something else. Physics majors tend to do well, as do engineers and mathematicians. Oddly, instrumental musicians tend to well, at least among my acquaintances. One of my friends was a psychology major, but recovered sufficiently enough to work a full career programming business applications.

That said, getting a programming job without a degree has always been a "well, maybe" proposition. Some firms wouldn't have given Bill Gates an interview for an internship, on that basis alone. (Gates dropped out to work on software for what would become Microsoft.) It's especially tough at the entry level, but even with years of paid experience many companies won't even look at an applicant without at least a bachelor's degree.

• VP

Choose a job site and see what qualifications businesses want from their Level 1 computer programmers.

Your question is a bit like asking is playing a musical instrument difficult.

Can anyone be a professional musician.

You could not take anyone off the street and teach them to be a programmer - you need a certain talent for it that cannot in the final analysis be taught

It's easy if your brain works that way. Some people can never grasp it, others find it simple, presumably like the young girl you know.