Weather Forecast around Mountain Areas Reliability?

Planning a trip to the White Mountains for Monday the 10th through Wednesday the 12th. It says clear on Monday and Wednesday but rain on Tuesday. When I once went to Baxter State Park years ago it called for a real cloudy/overcast day or something of the sort, and when I spoke to the park ranger he said "You... show more Planning a trip to the White Mountains for Monday the 10th through Wednesday the 12th. It says clear on Monday and Wednesday but rain on Tuesday. When I once went to Baxter State Park years ago it called for a real cloudy/overcast day or something of the sort, and when I spoke to the park ranger he said "You can never go by weather forecasts around mountains". It turned out to be beautiful that day with just clouds high up in the sky. I've done a lot of hiking over the years but can't remember if the forecasts would pan out (a few times I do know it rained when it called for rain).

Enough rambling, my question is

1. How reliable do you think these forecasts will be since they are 4-6 days out at this moment?

The reason I'm asking is that I might plan to go somewhere else for this mini road trip if one of the 3 days is gonna be a wash.