what does the saying 'Revenge is a dish best served cold' mean?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

It means you don't commit revenge in anger. You calm yourself, take your time in planning a good revenge. The victim isn't expecting it and doesn't see it coming.

• 6 months ago

It means, instead of getting revenge right away where it will be obvious that

it was you, (and that someone got you upset), you wait until later. Until the

perfect opportunity presents itself. Like, maybe you turn out to be their boss

someday, or something like that. That's when you get your revenge.

The cold part means, not in the heat of anger.

• Mike
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Killing in the heat of passion can minimize your guilt. It was done without malice aforethought. To get revenge by killing in cold blood is more satisfying because you are completely aware that you taking revenge. It is reasoned rather than merely emotional.

• 6 months ago

Retaliation or killing for revenge in cold blood is a must to do for dignity of certain tribes of people.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

It is better to think about a revenge, if it is needed, than to do something in the heat of the moment. .

• 6 months ago

It means that the best revenge is the one that you get when the person doesn't expect it because of the passage of time. Personally, I disagree. I get more satisfaction from forgiving those that have committed some transgression against me.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

You are likely to get yourself in trouble or go too far if you react in the heat of the moment. So wait till you are calm to get your revenge.

Even so, I don't really do revenge: my motto is rhubarb crumble is a dish best served cold

• 6 months ago

Vengeance is more satisfying when exacted some time after the harm that instigated it. So take your time to get revenge, be cold and calculated.

• 6 months ago

Cold = cold blooded, as in not in the heat of passion

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.