Do noise-cancelling headphones really work? What is the best brand(s)?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

Bose, Sony, Sennheiser, Harman (AKG, JBL, ...) - in no particular order, as the yellow shirt changes from time to time.

But: they will only work up to a degree - they're not intended (and can't do) cancelling e.g. heavy factory noise but they work very well for airplanes or the usual office background noise. If you want better than that, then there are specific DJ cans, which resemble a crossover between hearing protectors and headphones.

• 6 months ago

Just keep your expectations in check. They are noise cancelling headphones, not sound cancelling (or sound isolating) headphones. Many people seems to buy these headphones and then complain they can still hear people around them talking - which you will. These work to cancel out the white noise (especially things like airplanes, fans, etc. They work well if you know what you are buying.

I disagree with another poster that says they do not work well for music because good ones work extremely well for music.

• 6 months ago

They work. Best depends on what you are using it for. I have Bose and listen to podcasts. I also fly and they are awesome for that. They are not all that good for music. But then, I don't use them for music much.

The cheaper ones will not do a decent job.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

not absolutely, but 'better' yes ......................

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Yes. Sennheiser.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.