Why did my internet get slower when I bought a router?

Okay so my situation is kind of unique so bear with me for the background info:

I recently moved to a new apartment that had a setup where they offered xfinity wifi to all tenants if you bought an xfinity internet package.

So I bought a package that was "up to 60 mbps download speeds", which was one of the slightly higher packages, since I like to stream videos and do a bit of online gaming.

The community wifi was okay, I would get around 15 mbps downloads when I tried to download things like video game updates, etc., but eventually I decided to get my own router to get the maximum potential out of my internet package.

I got a Netgear AC1000 Dual Band Wifi Router, which was a cheaper router, but I figured since it's a small apartment and I'm the only one using the internet (and never trying to do 15 things at once on the internet) but it made my internet WAYYYY slower, like less than 1 mbps download speeds.

Note that it was this slow when I used wifi but it was ALSO this slow when I hard wired an ethernet directly from router to computer/xbox/etc.

Why is this? Did I buy a bad router? I don't want to go spend $200 on a new expensive router if this isn't the problem. Am I just using bad ethernet cables? I think I read there's a difference, but that doesn't really explain when it's slow with AND without the cables. Do I need to upgrade my internet package? What's the problem and how can I fix it? Thanks in advance.

• P

It's possible you got a bad router or there's some firewall settings enabled that is slowing you down, but a lot of it probably has to do with how you are connecting to this community wifi. A router like that should be wried straight into a cable modem or a Ethernet jack. if you are trying to use it like an access point connecting wirelessly it wouldn't surprise me if you had problems. The router also needs to be setup with a different ip scheme than the network it connects to. For example if the community wifi is 192.168.1.XXX then your router would need to be something different like 192.168.2.XXX

Otherwise cheap routers like that easily fall victim to interference. I recommend a minimum AC1900 or better. A Tenda AC1900 only costs $60 which is a bargain for how much power it packs.

• P

I personally would want a better router for sure, but otherwise you can also try disabling various firewall and security features on the router and speed testing each time. Also make sure the router's firmware is up to date. If you find the problem feature you can try securing things afterward.

Perhaps bad configuration.

Disable your firewall see if that help out.

• VP

1. ALWAYS mention the makes & models of the equipment you're using. You mentioned the router but never mentioned the modem's info.

2. One doesn't buy Wi-Fi access. Something's not right, here.

3. You may not like HOW he said it, but NONAME is onto something. When folks subscribe to get Internet access the ISP sends the equipment you need to your home. So, tell us the make & model of the modem (?) installed IN YOUR APT?

we should ask mozila about it may be their is solution

How does the router physically connect to the Xfinity service?

• BigE

So you have a hard wired port in your place? Test with a PC direct connect and compare, using ookla speedtest.

You haven't told me what the speed is that's coming out of your hard wire connection that you purchased plug your computer directly into the hard wire and clock it on your computer. Then plug the hardwire into the router and connect to it wirelessly and then clock it again. If it's ridiculously slow after you do that. Check to see whether it's the router or the built-in wireless card that's in your laptop. By plugging in an external Wi-Fi dongle and clock it off of the brand new external Wi-Fi dongle. If it's suddenly speeds up after you have done that you know that your laptop or your computer has a bad Wi-Fi card. But if it doesn't help then you know you have a bad router.

• NONAME

one does not buy a router...they loan you one when they are installing it.. if they did not come to your apartment and install the internet then what you did was nonsensical and im surprised you have any internet..its probably picking up someone elses wifi