Should I go from a Nissan Versa to a Subaru Crosstrek or Outback?

So I have a 2010 Nissan Versa, had it for 9 years now and I love it, it's been the most reliable car I've ever had no problems to this point. But it's old and beat up, I need a new car and I love the look of Subarus. I work at an Alfa Romeo dealership and these cars have spoiled me when it comes to speed and performance, I know that's not what you should be looking for when going for a Subaru but I still want to be able to have a little fun, even my versa is easy on the pedal and quick when I need it to be. I've heard Subarus are painfully slow and underpowered from various people including a former 8-year Subaru dealership mechanic, and that they aren't as reliable as they're cracked up to be. I need some actual research or personal experiences on how these vehicles actually drive, any help appreciated.

• JetDoc

If you want performance from a Subaru, check out a WRX! These are street legal rally cars equipped with a turbocharged 4-cylinder engine and 6-speed manual transmission. They're really fun to drive.

The Toyota Corolla hatchback with a 6 speed manual should be one to consider too!

Have a 2018 Crosstrek. It is not very fast, but has nice drivability. Smooth and responsive to the throttle. Tested a 2018 Jeep Compass first, similar power but that drove like **** and felt sluggish. Amazing in the snow, handles great and has some slick technology. Very solid car.

• Dimo

2010 Versa -- 1.8 liters, 122 hp, 127 lb-ft.

2019 Crosstrek -- 2.0 liters, 152 hp, 145 lb-ft

2019 Outback -- 2.5-liter, 175 hp, 174 lb-ft

Either Subaru will be considerably quicker and faster than your Versa.

• Terrence B

Actually, this isn't true. they also weigh a lot more. The Crosstrek is as fast as the Versa, and the Outback is a lot slower.

IF you NEED the all-wheel drive of the Subaru, then get it. IF not, don't ......................

Subarus are not very reliable. Get another Nissan, or better yet, a Honda or Toyota.