Do I have to ground an antenna if I mount it to a pole in the ground?

Do I have to ground a Yagi antenna if I mount it to a pole in the ground?

• 1 year ago

It depends...

If your antenna is unbalanced (having a coaxial connector),

grounding should be provided through the mast or tower.

If the antenna is balanced (using 300 ohm twinlead),

it should Not be grounded, but the pole, mast, or tower still Should be.

• 1 year ago

The braid on the coaxial cable is electrical ground for the antenna. Metal masts should be grounded for lightning protection, and being in the earth grounds it. You don't need to ground the antenna. to the mast.

1 year ago

If it's deep enough in the ground you can have the antenna be its own ground.

• Joe
    1 year ago

The Yagi antenna will likely have two screw terminals for the lead-in wire. Neither should be grounded.

You don't otherwise need a ground connection for your signal. But you may want to install a lightning arrestor. The ground connection for the lightning arrestor should be connected to a heavy solid aluminum or copper wire, clamped to a 4 - 6 foot metal stake pounded into the earth.

• rmm
    1 year ago

You should consider an "antenna lightning arrester" that will help to ground the lightning and hopefully protect your equipment if the antenna is struck. If you ground the antenna you will probably lose your signal.