KH asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 year ago

Are there any US Airmen who are married to any US Soldiers here?

I want to join the Air Force but my fiancé is in the Army. I’m just trying to see what the living situation is like.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago

My dad was navy, mom was army, both saw Korea. They married in Virginia both at their last assignment location.

May mean long times of separation for you.

• 1 year ago

Once more.....get a map. Put a RED pin in the map at every USAF base where you could be assigned with the job that you do. Put a BLUE pin in the map at every ARMY facility where your fiancee can be assigned doing the job that he does. You will notice that there are VERY FEW places where a red pin is near a blue pin. Maybe Hawaii, Washington DC, Germany. The odds that you will get assigned to those bases are real low because there is no inter-service joint spouse assignment program. If you want to even have a chance of being at the same facility then you need to join the Army. If you absolutely want to be together then you need to be a dependent wife and go where he goes.

• 1 year ago

the living situation is you live on a air force base and your spouse lives on an army base

there is no joint service married couples program

• Daniel
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

The Join Spouse programs in the services only apply to couples in the same service.

Assuming that you get married before you enlist and your spouse is at a permanent assignment (ie isn't still going through training), AFPC might try to get you close, however, if he is at a post where there is no nearby Air Force base and/or no signficant USAF presence on post, then you are pretty much out of luck.

He won't be able to move until he meets time on station requirements. Even when he can move, if you are someplace where there is no nearby Army presence with a need for his MOS, he won't be near you either.

UPDATE: Yes, Mr Blue Face, I read the AFI. Yes, Airmen with spouses in another service can enroll in the Join Spouse program, but AFPC really doesn't do much to work with the other services' personnel centers to work an assignment. The best they can do is make an attempt to place the Airman near the spouse.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

If you join different branches, they have no obligation to make any attempt to station you together. Realistically, you could each do a 20 year career and only be stationed together for 3 or 4 years of it. You'll have no family life to speak of and one or the other of you will hardly ever see your kids.

• Mrsjvb
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Co location can only be requested if you are in the same branch. You can pretty much guarantee you would never be stationed anywhere near each other

• 1 year ago

You won’t be together very much.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

The Air Force Personnel Command (AFPC) will try to accommodate your assignments to keep you together with your Army spouse.

However, AFPC cannot guarantee you will be kept together when either one of your recieves a new assignment.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.