What can you do with a computer science degree?

What kind of jobs can you take? Can it also have a purpose in the video game industry?

There are a lot of possibilities with a CS degree. I'd say the most common job would be working as a computer programmer for a company. You could also work in AI, but that might require more advanced degrees.

Damien pretty much described IT jobs, not really CS jobs. I highly doubt most CS workers will be installing computer systems for users or setting up networks. That's mostly for the tech support/network people to deal with.

Entry level job - computer operator, help desk, jr programmer, etc.

I have a comp sci degree. My 1st job out of college was a computer operator. Then I moved on to jr programmer. My current job is mainframe pgmr/analyst. My 1st computer job was a buck an hour over minimum wage. And today I make a 6 figure income.

you can get a job in IT consulting. Makes good money

• Damien

computer science involves repairing computers, setting up computer networks and connectivity such as routers, troubleshooting why something aint working relating to computers at the workplace,most of the graduates i know usually do stuff you dont need a degree for such as setting up the new version of windows on a computer lol, or resetting your computer network password, most of their time is spent taking showers and going to gym at work cause they are only needed when something goes wrong, i guess its not as demanding as being a "software engineer" which is a fancy word for computer language programming, in this you are required to stare at the computer screen for 8 hers or more everyday writing up code.

• ioerr

it's a really general area of study. it covers absolutely everything computer related, from computational theory to hardware architectures, microprocessor design, os design, program efficiency analysis, data structures, algorithms, program language paradigms, ai...

i think it's best suited to people looking for a more academic career, and if you want to get a job in industry or something it's best to get something more specialized in one of those areas, related to whatever you want to do.