Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePreschool · 8 months ago

In california, can my child still attend public kindergarten if she cant spell her own name??

Shes 5 now, will be 5 1/2 about 2 months after the school year starts. So she meets the age requirements. Shes never been to any sort of pre-k or preschool or day care facility & I personally dont feel that she is emotionally ready but her dad & others feel that she is so we enrolled her to start this fall. Ive heard that shes required to know how to spell her own name & be able to say her address & phone #. Is this really a mandatory pre-req? Or is it just an expectation?? Can she still attend if she cant do any of those things??

• 11 hours ago

Why are YOU not teaching her how to spell her name????????????  The more you teach her - the easier it will be for her.

• drip

You have heard...why not call up the school and get facts.

If you feel they are not ready, keep them back a year. Never hurts to let them gain some maturity. It will only help her next year when she does enter kindergarten. Put them in an older pre school class.

Maybe you can't spell????

• Luvdnlost7 months agoReport

Maybe youre just an ignorant stupid jerk???

pls ask the school directly. they'll advise you

We don't know if it's a hard-and-fast rule, but if it is then you've got 3 months to teach her those things. I am, frankly, astonished that you haven't already done so. Any responsible parent would already have done that and more. Kids who start school knowing less than the other kids often never catch up.

• Tavy

Really ???? so you never sit down with her and help her to write her own name, pick out letters and numbers in a book. What have you been doing with her, does she watch TV all day.

She is 5, she should be able to do any of these things by now.

Perhaps she needs to be evaluated.

• Tavy

Sounds as if you all need family therapy. i have never heard of a child who dislikes their mother.

Yes. Early education is very good for all kids. Don't listen to hearsay. Visit the place and talk to them. That way you will be better informed.

• James

she will learn how to write her name, but more importantly as a parent why didn't you teach her how to do that yourself?

No, they have no such requirement: see the FAQs:

https://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/gs/em/kindergartenfaq.as...

That just means you have failed her as a parent, she still has to go to school even though you've already ruined her life with your neglect.

• GB

My mother thought she taught me how to write my name before starting school. I could recite the letters, but did not know how to write them, or how my name looked on paper. But my life was not ruined.