Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentTechnology · 7 months ago

What are my choices, I’m 19 and lost. Do I really need to go to college?

I’m trying to get a career in IT, mainly cyber security or something similar to that field. I tried joining the army to get work experience with 25b and free schooling but they didn’t let me go through because I had brain surgery when I was younger. I’m currently trying to join the navy; however, I much rather go to a trade school or something like it. But I’m surrounded by friends and family who have gone and are going to college and I feel like I need to go to fit in and to attain a happy and fulfilling life. I’m super lost, I don’t know what to do.

At your age there is no way of knowing

I'd say go to a trade school if you really

have no leads on anything else tbh wy!

With the pace of technology these days, if you want a career in IT, college will HARM your chances more than help. By the time you graduate, most of what you learn will be obsolete.

• Bill-M

The CT rating in the Navy has a real good cyber security branch. Have you looked into that??

• Jason

"but they didn’t let me go through because I had brain surgery when I was younger."

That's the only relevant information. All branches and components have the same entry standards. MEPS reg 40-1 directs the use of AR 40-501 for all enlisted processing regardless of branch of service. If you are DQ for one, you are DQ for them all. The military is not an option. It's time to start working on plan B.

Best wishes to you.

• drip

Check out what your community colleges offer in the field.

You don't need a degree to get into IT. However without experience, not having a degree is a problem.

I understand it's a catch-22. And you might be able to get started in an entry level position without experience or education. It is just difficult.

Alternatively to college, you could obtain IT certifications. There are a lot of them, A LOT, so doing research before paying for one is the prudent thing to do.

Source(s): 12+ years IT/Cyber, B.S. Cybersecurity, Security+, GSEC, GCIH