Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelEurope (Continental)Netherlands · 7 months ago

Will I able to live and work as a web developer in Amsterdam, without speaking Dutch?

Back in April, I visited Amsterdam, and I was left really impressed with abs everything, especially with the fact that you weed is legal, ahah, just jk. I would really like to move to live in Amsterdam when I finish my bachelor degree at 23. The only problem is that I don't know any dutch at all, and from my perspective is a really hard language to learn. Do you think I will be able to get a job as a web dev with fluent English only?

so you think that with this extreme social anxiety you suffer from, you will be able to uproot yourself, move to a new country, where you cant speak the language and don't know a single soul, get a job, find a place to live … when you can't walk down your own street without stressing out ??

While UK is in the EU, you have the right to live and work in any EU country, but given we intend on leaving anytime soon, that will all change

• Orla C

The weed isn't actually legal, just decriminalised ... not quite the same thing apparently. But I wouldn't worry, because chances are you won't be able to hold down a job there if all you can do is think about getting weed, so it's not really anything to be too concerned about.

And what is your nationality? If you're a citizen of an EU member state, you can live and work in any other EU member state - you would have to learn the local language though - but if you are not, then you can forget about it.

As soon as you can resist blurting out the weed-joke in a sentence that includes the word Amsterdam, you can start thinking about the rest.

The Dutch can deal with people that don't speak Dutch. Everybody speaks English. If you are good at your job, you are welcome. You would have to be better than "the other guy" that did put in some effort though...

• Zirp

You may be able to become a wage-slave, wasting most of your money on living expenses because of the huge housing shortage in 99% of the Netherlands and the popularity of Amsterdam. Somehow a lot of foreign people are too stupid to know that weed is available in hundreds of coffeeshops around the country.

In places that do have affordable housing vacant, you will need Dutch. Don't worry, Dutch is considered an EASY language for native speakers of English, no harder than French or Spanish. Esperanto is the only language with millions of speakers that's significantly easier.

Source(s): NL-native

I wouldn't recommend moving to a country without any intention of learning the official language. Not only will you be at a disadvantage job wise (you'll be competing with all the other web developers who speak both Dutch and English), but it will also be more difficult to integrate and interact with people, even if there is a high proportion of English speakers in Amsterdam.

By all means do hunt for jobs in Amsterdam, but also make an effort to learn the language, even if you get a job where you aren't required to speak Dutch.

Now, I don't know what the web developer job situation looks like in the Netherlands, but unless there's a lack of web developers, my guess is that you will struggle to find a job. Not only because of the language, but because many employers don't want to go through the foreign worker work permit hassle if they can simply hire someone local.

• Voelven

Since the Anonymous asker (you?) did not state where he/she was from, I assumed he was from the U.S.

I very much doubt it also Amsterdam is a very expensive city to live in.