Why do part time jobs even exist?

Especially ones in which they don't give you the same schedule every week, so it makes it hard to find a second job, how are you suppose to get your bills payee on such little hours

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Here's how life works. Business exists to create value for the owner. It is up to the employee to provide value to the business, the business does not exist to give you an income. The money you are paid is a by-product of the value you bring to the business.

Businesses have needs, and often, work schedules vary. In retail there are peak hours and 'dead' hours. Businesses need some flexibility in their scheduling.

This is where part-time employment comes in. The more flexible you are, the more potential value you bring to the company. That said, many employers expect you to be flexible and are not going to pay you extra for it. You can be replaced. Your other job and your bills are not the business's concern.

That's the harsh reality. There are a lot of part time jobs out there. It's up to you to make it work. If the business values you enough, they will be willing to work around a first job, which is your first concern.

I had my career job, which came first. For a time, early in my career, I needed extra income so I took a second job delivering pizza. At the time, the shop opened an hour after my normal end time and it was usually no overlap. But there were times during the year where I either had the opportunity to work overtime, or no choice in the matter, at my career job, and if I did, I would be about an hour late to the shop. I made it clear to the shop that my career came first, and anyway, it was foolish to turn down OT that paid me four times what the shop was paying me. As I was one of the top drivers they had and one of the most reliable (turnover was high, it was mostly college kids and I was in my late 20s and stable), they were more than happy to accept my terms.

That is what I mean by bringing something of value to the employer so that they will be more flexible.

• 7 months ago

They won't for long.

• 7 months ago

U am looking for one

• 7 months ago

The employer would say, "How you get your bills paid is none of our concern."

They have that job because either they don't want to pay their employees, whether a full salary, or benefits, or both, or it's that they only need people part time. Or, it could be both those reasons.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 7 months ago

They exist because the companies need them. If you don't like it, don't work for them.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

For people who don't need to work full time and just work part time for a little extra fun money!! Is one reason.

Why not work full time? Why not get an education for a better full time job? Sorry you struggle so much but it's your own doing!! Why don't you find a part time job with consistent hours? Manage your life and stop your whining.

• 7 months ago

There are many part-time jobs that exist.

But employees do not like flucutating schedules so some jurisdictions are enacting laws that require 3+ weeks notice.

• Never
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

A huge % or workers do NOT want full time and when I was a manager, many or even most schedules did not change much if at all. I might change up the hours here and there but not the days. And, if anybody wanted a day off I would give it to them every week if they wanted. Everybody worked friday and saturday. And not both thursday and sunday off. One or the other, fine. But most everyone was fine. A few wanted more hours and they worked elsewhere days and for me at nights. One guy left for more hours and I told him he could come back if he wanted. Or just weekends if he wanted.

My goal was to keep my people happy because my job was way easier when they were.

Your bills are unrelated to your part time job. I promoted some to full time. They went from 25-35 to 50. Not 40. 50. It was less than 40 or 50-52. Nothing in between.

Very few managers will not let you work your schedule around another job unless you are just a pain in their butt and not worth the trouble.

I cant remember who wants off what day this week but a different day next week and I did not do my schedule by computer back then.

If you are a valued employee, your boss will bend over backwards for you. Not because of your bills though.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

cause for sorne people its better than nothing

• 7 months ago

🛌

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.