Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 6 months ago

Why do some people shorten their names?

I know this guy who is of Asian descent and his name is Arjit but he calls himself Arj and everyone knows him by that, why does he shorten his name?

Because people like variety

It;s less complicated, and although two syllables may not seem like much, when it's a foreign name unfamiliar to most, another syllable can make all the diff.

Because they are allowed to because they have that choice and maybe some people hate their full name.

I know a girl who goes strictly by Sam because she loathes the full name Samantha and will ignore you if you call her by her full name.

Doesn’t pretty much everyone shorten their name? Sam/Samuel, Josh/Joshua etc.

Why do many named Benjamin go by Ben?

William by Will?

Alexander by Alex?

Ummm it is common to go by a nickname

Because it's easier to say and remember. I wish I could just call everyone by one syllable, especially if they have an uncommon name. (As long as it's not "Xu" or something lol)

rnaybe its easier for people to rernernber his narne that way

It's just a nickname. Lots of Americans have nicknames. And lots of immigrants will shorten their names or choose a nickname that sounds more American. That's why so many Mohammads choose to use Mo as a nickname or Antonios back in the early 1900s were called Tony.

To save seconds of lifespan

• Dylan

We shorten everything.