Shannon asked in TravelAir Travel · 6 months ago

Piercings and airport security?

Will my nose and ear piercings set off the metal detector at airport security?

I am assuming you are traveling from or within the U.S.

Chances are you will be going through the body scanner rather than the walk-through magnetometer.

Most piercing usually do not cause an alarm since there is not enough metal to cause a problem. (Just make sure your pockets is COMPLETELY empty.)

However, should it alarm on the body scanner, you will receive a simple visual inspection (due to the piercing being on and around the face.) If you alarm at a walk-through magnetometer, then you may receive a pat-down if you are unable to remove the piercings. (Such pat-downs take only a few minutes of time.)

Additional information regarding the body scanner:

https://www.sds.l3t.com/advancedimaging/provision-...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izM-bV80scI

Youtube thumbnail

:

Source(s): Work part-time as a TSA officer.
    • Redstone

@Shannon: I've added a few links to give you an idea about the body scanner and its operation. Enjoy your trip to the U.S. :-)

No; piercing jewellery don't set of airport detectors

Possibly. I once set them off with a very small barrette in my hair. They'll scan you. If the piercings are visible, it shouldn't be a problem- just an annoyance to have to stand there while they scan.

• MS

Probably not. First, you generally go through a body scanner now, and not a metal detector. The body scanner alerts to abnormalities on your body, whether they are metal or not. If it does identify the jewelry, the agent will just quickly check that area before sending you on your way. Second, if you do happen to go through a metal detector, that will not likely be enough metal to set it off; I routinely went through with 2 sets of earrings, my wedding bands, some bracelets, and a necklace, and I never set it off.

Probably not, but if they do, all that happens is you'll be held up for about 20 seconds while they just check that your piercings are indeed the reason for the metal detector's reaction.

They might. Usually they do not. SO WHAT

It is not something security has not seen before.

Enjoy your flight.

You can avoid the issue by temporarily removing them for a few hours or replacing them with non metallic ones for the check point.

Doubtful. I once saw a woman set them off because she had some sort of huge piercing "down there".

• Greg

Maybe, depending upon size and materials.