Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 6 months ago

Should I let my pregnant 17 year old daughter quit school to work full time?

I would love to help her out financially but can't because we are spending the majority of our money on tuition for our two older children to go to college. and the rest of our money goes into our retirement savings. We basically have no money left. The father of the child is a deadbeat and won't be paying child support. I think it would be a good idea for her to drop out of high school for now and go back when her child is old enough to be in school. We also don't qualify for welfare because we are considered to be a 'middle class' family.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

Let her finish school. Sue the dad for child support. If he doesn't pay, sick the courts on him. Maybe the ones in college can get jobs to help with college costs.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

... why wouldn’t she just graduate high school? She has literally one year left

• 6 months ago

Who will support her and her child if she quits school and does not go to college and get a good education so she can support her? YOU. Answer your own question.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

I'm curious why you're asking. If you want her to do this, then why does your title question ask if you should "let" her? I get the feeling she doesn't want to drop out?

She's got a lot of growing up to do quickly, which means it might be easiest for you to set conditions under which she can live in your home with her baby. Then let her figure out how to manage this.

For example, it should not cost you more to have her there, meaning at a minimum she needs to cover her and the baby's food. Tell her she needs a plan for that. She can always take online courses, but this also costs money. Does she understand that her social life and "fun" spending will no longer be an option?

Finally, have you talked to her about adoption? If you hate the thought that a grandchild of yours wouldn't be a member of your family, this may not be fair to either the grandchild or your daughter. No baby wants to be born into a mess like this, especially with a deadbeat dad. And your daughter clearly is nowhere near ready to be a mom. It should be on the table as an option.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • mikey
    Lv 4
    6 months ago

What does she want? It is her life choice. She could finish online these days.

• 6 months ago

Try to get her a part time job and go for a GED.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

She will have no job opportunities. You need to start by taking the father of her child to court for child support. Being threatened with jail for non-payment can be a great motivator.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Drops outs have little to no job opportunities. Even fast food places usually will not hire a drop out.

She either needs to stay in school or get a GED right away instead of waiting for her baby to be old enough to be in school. BTW - high schools typically don't let drop outs "go back" several years later to finish. If she drops out and doesn't return before the age of 19, then the only option is a GED anyway.

• 6 months ago

No. She should only have a year left. She will have better job opportunities with a high school diploma and be able to support her child. If you find that you absolutely must then she can get her ged.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

i think she should finish school or noone will give her a job

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.