Boyfriend's family is judgmental?

I've been with my boyfriend 2 years and his step-family exclude him a lot. They contact him to do favors around the house, don't extend an invite to their family vacation. If he didn't do favors they would guilt him. I was sleeping over nightly, as he paid some money toward rent, and it was never... show more I've been with my boyfriend 2 years and his step-family exclude him a lot. They contact him to do favors around the house, don't extend an invite to their family vacation. If he didn't do favors they would guilt him. I was sleeping over nightly, as he paid some money toward rent, and it was never indicated it wasn't ok to do so. My boyfriend told me his relationship with her wasn't good, in the past she had told him to get out and not come back because he vocalized his disgust that she kept leaving her cat's smelly litter box outside of his bedroom door.

After 2-3 days of her asking him to do a house favor and disregarding his late work schedule, she lashed out, saying unforgivable things including, "Ever since you began dating X, you stopped being a member of our family." His step-mom felt we were rude because we didn't spend quality time with her in her home. His family is incredibly nosey and judgmental. They make comments to him such as, "You're too busy for us" "Nice to see you, stranger" and its incredibly uncomfortable. We get guilt-tripped and nagged into spending time with them and its incredibly toxic. It's stooped as low as them not even buying me a birthday card for my birthday.

My boyfriend feels an obligatory loyalty. My boyfriend has since moved out and there's already been comments, "He doesn't show his face but it's expected from him" but I feel very offended and distrustful of the women in his life. Any advice -- I HATE BEING PHONY.
1 answer 1