My central air is not turning on. I replaced my thermostat during the winter and was wondering if I wired it correctly.?

get the instructions out and read them. many modern ones have the wire colors molded into the plastic near the terminal

G is ground which is always green

Make notes on which wire is on what terminal on the thermostat. Then unplug or disconnect the air handler power and open up the AC unit and find where the corresponding thermostat terminal connections are located. Verify that the same colors are on the same corresponding marked terminals as your thermostat terminals.

A lot of times people don't pay close attention when disconnecting the old thermostat, then rely on the wire colors rather than where they actually were connected. And find things don't work. If after you check the wire colors and everything is good, then try the jumper wire from Rc to Rh. When a system uses one 24 VAC transformer for both Heat and Cooing controls the Rc and Rh have to be jumpered together. Rc is hot power for the cooling, Rh is the hot power for the heating (from the transformer).

Source(s): retired electrician and HVAC tech https://xtronics.com/wiki/Thermostat_signals_and_w...