michelle asked in PetsDogs · 1 year ago

Congestive heart failure in dogs ? Will she be ok?

I m so torn. My 12 year old dachshund has always had a clean bill of health and all of sudden she fell one day and got back up. and it was like nothing happened. The other night, she fainted for about 30 secs.until she got back up again. l had to take her to be seen. I went to an emergency hospital and the tentative diagnosis was advanced mitral valve disease. I wanted a second opinion, so I called my vet and he had the paperwork and said it sounds like congestive heart failure. The last couple of days have felt like hell for me and my husband. She still eats, drinks and likes going on walks like usual.... 

I guess I'm just asking if anyone has dealt with this, what the general outlook is, what I should be concerned about etc etc. All info is helpful because I dont want her to be in pain or die from some painful...and how long does my babygirl really have ? :/

• *****
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

Depends on how successful medication is at alleviating the symptoms and how well she tolerates it. My parents dog lived for five years on medication after his CHF diagnosis, with regular adjustments to the type and doses, before they had to euthanize him as the medications weren't helping enough for him to have a good quality of life.

• J M
    1 year ago

No one can say how long she will live. And you can tell when she is in pain.Take care of her and make sure the vet provides palliative care to keep her comfortable.

• 1 year ago

I have dealt with this, they can live a year or two but will be in palitive care...that is you will be keeping your baby comfortable. There needs to be meds,talk to your vet about what mix is best for your dog. Staying cool is important congestive heart failure makes dogs overly hot. I am so sorry you are going through this.

• 1 year ago

i would ask your vet about all this