Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 year ago

Is there a limit to how soon you can use your UK passport after getting it?

I am renewing my passport for the first time in a long while, and I am wondering if there is a limit to how soon you can use it after it arriving. I would rather order it sooner to when I travel since they only last 10 years, but I want to be sure there isn t a limit to how soon I can use it before I buy it. Is it like how it runs out 6 months before the date, but you have to have it for 6 months before using it instead? This is for a United Kingdom passport. Thanks in advance.

• 1 year ago

It's valid for use immediately

• Lisa A
    1 year ago

The delay that you need to take before you use your passport is the time that it takes you to get form the passport office to the airport,

• NWIP
    1 year ago

You can start using it the date it is issued, there is no wait period. The only time there can be issues if if you plan on traveling within 6 months of it expiring. Some countries will require it to be valid longer while others do not. You just need to check before booking your travel arrangements.

• 1 year ago

Date of issue is the first date the passport can be used. If you have it mailed to you, it will arrive a few days after it is issued. Ready to go.

That 6 months at the tail end of a passport's validity that you mention is typically a requirement of countries you go to, not your country. Countries want to ensure your passport will remain valid for your entire stay, that you can (& will!) get out & get back home before your passport expires. You can enter your country of citizenship up to the last day the passport is valid.

• Tavy
    1 year ago

You can use it the same afternoon.

• 1 year ago

You can use it the moment you receive it. Some countries (Russia for example) require you to have at least 6 months remaining on your Great British passport when you enter the country but many are not fussed as long as you leave before it expires. Sometimes you can renew from overseas. My daughter renewed hers in Hungary at one point.