Vehicles cutting into the arrivals lane at Sea-Tac Airport. Are they doing the right thing or being jerks?

The arrivals lane is always backed up, bumper to bumper traffic. Meanwhile, the departure lanes are empty. At one point, you get to a fork where they split, and vehicles want to cut in at the VERY last second. In my opinion, they should have merged earlier like everyone else. I realize zipper merging exists, but the lane they were in was departures, not arrivals, and I feel like they re making things difficult. I waited in line, they should too! Is it ok for me not to let them in or do they have the right to cut in?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago
    Best answer

" Is it ok for me not to let them in or do they have the right to cut in?" They've left it late to try and get to the front of the queue faster., so they're being jerks. You don't have to let them in. They have no right to merge. If an accident is cause it will be their fault.

• Brett7 months agoReport

Thanks for your answer! This is totally how I feel about this, and I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in feeling this way. I'll be avoiding this area in the future, but if I encounter this situation again I'll hold my ground :)

• 7 months ago

Never reward misbehavior.

• 7 months ago

Its not illegal to make a lane change.

Just because you choose to merge earlier doesn't mean its illegal or wrong for some people to merge later.

And I'm very familiar with SeaTac airport, I've flown out of there and/or dropped off other people dozens of times since they re-did the roads and terminal entrances a few years ago.

I actually use a different trick for dropping off/ picking up people. Departures is always busy in the morning and arrivals is always busy in the evenings. So I will drop people off for departures on the arrivals area, or pick them up after arrival at the departures area. There are lots of elevators and escalators inside the building for them to use to get up & down to the proper place, and it saves me (or the driver who's dropping me off) a ton of hassle with traffic.

That's interesting and sounds like a good way to avoid the traffic! I had no idea you could get to the departure area after arriving in Sea-Tac. Thanks for the advice!

• 7 months ago

As long as the sheep let the wolves in this practice will prevail.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Bill
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Some people know the airport and some don't. You know that people will cut in at the last second, so watch for them to avoid collisions.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

There is a train that goes to the airport. Use it.

I wasn't aware of that, thanks for the suggestion! Looks like a good way to avoid the traffic mayhem at Sea-Tac.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.