Which source is the safest way for me to update my drivers for free?

I resurrected this laptop f/ the closet where it had been for some yrs. I'm getting an alert for a 13 driver update. It's easy for me to believe I need this but when I follow the prompts, they want me to pay.
I don't want to give some virus permission.
I have Windows 8, 64 bit.
Update: I may have asked prematurely. It has something to do w/ windows defender and can't scan. Please check back, I think it's scanning now but I still have the "flag red x" alert (bottom right next to the time/date). Maybe the alert goes away after the scan. I may not be able to wait for that (I have... show more I may have asked prematurely. It has something to do w/ windows defender and can't scan. Please check back, I think it's scanning now but I still have the "flag red x" alert (bottom right next to the time/date). Maybe the alert goes away after the scan. I may not be able to wait for that (I have errands to run).
Update 2: The culprit is the alert in the tool bar prompting me to pay for drivers so windows defender can do the scan. I don't know how to get rid of it but I can ignore it. The computer works great other than that.