Is it simply just security theater when websites require you to put special characters, numbers ect. in your password?

It seems to me that, if anything, it would make it easier for programs to hack your account by eliminating a lot of possibilities. I suppose it would stop a few people from making simple passwords like "password123" or "ladiesman" ect. but I wouldn't think it would make any noticeable... show more It seems to me that, if anything, it would make it easier for programs to hack your account by eliminating a lot of possibilities. I suppose it would stop a few people from making simple passwords like "password123" or "ladiesman" ect. but I wouldn't think it would make any noticeable difference. I'm not sure (despite what comedic scenes on TV may show) that many people use passwords like that in reality. I don't know though.