Asep asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 7 months ago

Why is it common for pregnant women not to call an ambulance when giving birth?

They’d rather suffer through the drive

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

You will SUFFER, and once it starts you will do anything to get to the hospital ASAP. Call the ambulance QUICK.

• GB
    Lv 5
    7 months ago

Because more families have cars nowadays.

• Edna
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Most pregnant women don't NEED to call an ambulance to transport them to a hospital when they go into labor. She's going to have PLENTY of time (hours!) before she gives birth, in which to get herself to a hospital.

One possible exception might be if she's home alone; her water breaks; there's no one she can call to drive her to a hospital; and she feels birth is imminent.Then, she would need to call an ambulance to rush her to a hospital.

• 7 months ago

My daughter did with her 2nd pregnancy - her waters broke and we drove her to hospital and she was told she was not in labour even though she knew she was, was sent home and an hour later she wanted to push and called ambulance and just made it to hospital when her daughter popped out

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 7 months ago

TBH I wanted to. But my husband and i desisted after having been given lectures on wasting the EMT personnel's time after having gone to the hospital once before because we thought the braxton-hicks were real

• 7 months ago

Calling an ambulance is not going to relieve any of their pain, because only a doctor can dispense pain medication after evaluating the situation. An ambulance is expensive, and not usually covered by insurance unless there is no other safe alternative.

• helene
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

The last time my husband rode in an ambulance, we were billed $543.

If you are not experiencing a medical emergency, you don't need the medical personnel on the drive to the hospital.

• John P
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Possibly you live in a country (USA?) in which medical services and ambulances etc have to be paid for directly, rather than from the general tax revenue of the government.

In Britain there is no charge for using the ambulance service.

• Suzy Q
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

I still suspect that it might be frowned upon to call an ambulance for a normally progressing labour, which after all isn't a medical emergency.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Well duh! You could be halfway to the hospital before the ambulance ever arrives.

• MissA
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Ambulances are for emergencies. A birth is rarely that. And IDK if you noticed but ambulances are being driven too... you gotta suffer through the drive either way.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.