Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 6 months ago

Is it normal for physicians to find ISIS and Mexican cartel beheading videos disturbing?

I am in medical school and I regularly watch ISIS and Mexican cartel mutilation and beheading videos out or curiosity and to pass time but when I share some of the videos with my classmates they seem to be grossed out or deeply disturbed, despite having spent hours in the operating theatres for surgery and doing basic human anatomy in the pre-clinical years.

Is it normal for doctors and medical students to be disturbed by these kinds of videos despite being used to all the blood and guts?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • poldi2
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

"out of curiosity" - no hon, its out of fascination.

And it is normal for physicians to find those images horrific - its not normal for anyone to find them anything other than disturbing.

• 6 months ago

Yes

• 6 months ago

It is a normal human response to find graphic infliction of pain and bodily harm on another human or animal to be a very disturbing thing. Those who lack that response tend to have some sort of psycopathy (the pathology is the lack of empathy to the pain and suffering of others; it can have many origins).

I would suggest, very strongly, that if you lack empathy for the pain and suffering of fellow sentient life, then you are probably not the best candidate for becoming a health care worker. In fact, I would say that it is about as inappropriate a career choice as could be imagined.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Yes. Most physicians aim to help people (even the enemy) stay alive and well. To be interested in. and entertained by, the videos is the total opposite of their core beliefs.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Dixon
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

You seem to have answered your own question. It isn't the gore, it is that someone can treat a life so casually. I would also advise you not to watch those videos for entertainment, at the very least it is unprofessional behavior for a medical student/doctor.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.