Can a cop give me a speeding ticket for assuming I was speeding?

The unmarked cop car pulled me over because he said i was speeding but he was in front of me the whole time. He did not measure my speed with a speed gun nor radar his assumption was he knows I was speeding because he know what 25mph looks like because he done his job over 30 years?

1 year ago

yep, a Judge will USUALLY take a seasoned cops ESTIMATIONS as proof ..............

• Linda
    1 year ago

Why were YOU following him, at the same speed he was going, instead of looking at your speedometer???

• I did not follow him I was going the right away and he was incoming traffics and instead of getting on his left hand side to income the traffic he came straight to my lane to start his assumption

• Neil
    1 year ago

You're the one ASSuming.

Many police cars have forward and rear facing radar mounted on the vehicle. He has a calibrated speedometer. You can be timed between points a known distance apart. .

1 year ago

Assume that anyone in their right frame of mind driving is easily going to notice someone going 25 mph over the speed limit.

Source(s): Slow down cowboy
  • 1 year ago

1. He DID NOT assume he knows what 25 mph looks like. He was SPECIFICALLY TRAINED to know what it looks like.

2. He can actually MEASURE your speed with a WATCH by timing you between 2 fixed points a known distance apart.

3. As Bruce stated, if you were driving faster than he was, and his speedometer was working properly, he knows you were driving faster than indicated on his speedometer.

• Well I asked how he measured my speed to assume I was going over 25 and he we was way far apart for him to measure 2 fixed points is when I pulled up beside him on a res light he decided to stop me

• Bruce
    1 year ago

Yes, that is possible. He knows how fast he is going. If you catch up to him, he knows you were going faster than him. It is called a speedometer pace.

• 1 year ago

A ticket is an accusation. It is not evidence of guilt. If you are asking if people can be convicted based on the testimony of a person trained in estimating speed, yes that can happen. Indeed speeding could lead to convictions even before the invention of those devices. It is possible that the cop had a speedometer and could pace you.

• Hi I asked if he measured my speed with the speed gun or that and he said know that he knows what 25 looks like mind you on the citation doesn’t say the speed limit but that I was speeding over the limit

• 1 year ago

Maybe he was speeding and you were keeping up with him. He will have to explain that in court and if he was on a call, why his lights were not on and why he had the time to stop you.

• That's what I was thinking because he pulled me over when I got next to him because I was going the right of way and he was coming out and when he got in my lane I switched lane once the light turned green he then decided to pull me over and call a mark officer to finish the traffic stop

1 year ago

Cops can judge speed accurately after years of experience, just pay fine and shut up

• G1 year agoReport

They may be able to judge speed pretty accurately after years of experience, but in Pennsylvania this is not enough to convict:

Police Officer’s Opinion About Your Speed - Not Enough to Convict.

https://stop-sign-ticket.com/2019/04/15/police-officers-opinion-about-your-speed-not-enough-to-convict/

• 1 year ago

No, but he can give a speeding ticket for knowing that you were speeding, which is what he did. He did not assume anything.

• no there was an assumption because he was in front of me the whole time and only stopped when I switched lanes and the light turned green. and did not have a radar to prove otherwise u can't tell speed by the naked eye