keena2353 asked in PetsFish · 1 year ago

Help starting a betta sorority?

Hello I needed help on setting up a betta sorority. I ve had a female betta for about 2 years and yesterday I went into Petco and was convinced into buying two young bettas to start a sorority. Since then the two fish have been getting along but one is not eating and is on the bottom of the tank. I wanted to know if I should put her in a separated tank to grow(she is the smallest) or just wait it out... possibly get another?

1 year ago

5 would be better assuming you have an appropriate tank.

• 1 year ago

A betta sorority should have a starting population of five. This will allow for a distribution of aggression. The fish refusing to eat is being picked on, whether you see it or not. Animals behave differently when watched.

Remove all three fish to separate holding containers. Add at least two more, assuming the tank is at bare minimum 10 gallons. If not, then return the two new fish or upgrade.

If the tank is large enough, then rearrange the decor and buy three more females. Then add all five at the same time so there's no territory dispute.