Would you consider eating insects as a source of protein under any circumstances (e.g. they were cheaper than meat / more sustainable)?

Would you consider eating insects as a source of protein under any circumstances (e.g. they were cheaper than traditional farmed meats or more sustainable)?

• 1 year ago

NO.

• 1 year ago

People do eat insects.

• 1 year ago

No, I just simply can't fathom eating it. It makes me feel sick thinking about it. I know some cultures do it, and maybe if I were brought up on it, it would be fine, but for me...just no.

• Thorn
    1 year ago

Nope. I don't need to.

I ate a vegetarian diet for over 30 years and about 5 years ago switched to vegan.

A few months ago I got a blood test and my protein level is just fine. And no, I don't take protein supplements. And, no doctor has ever told me I 'must eat meat' or even suggested it.

The meat industry fools its customers into thinking they need to eat dead animals to get enough protein

That is a total lie.

• 1 year ago

I guess if I was in a survival situation then maybe or if I was forced fed them then I wouldn’t have a choice...

• 1 year ago

Probably not.

Insects have to much...crunchy fiber.

That being said I did eat a few grasshoppers in sauce at a party once. I didn’t have my glassed on and I thought they were peppers. They were pretty good.

• 1 year ago

I think that's one time I'd want them to be processed food. Preferably into a sandwich patty or made to resemble hamburger. Roasted grubs might be OK, but nothing with spiney legs.

• Anton
    1 year ago

Currently, insects are far more expensive than prime beef. Crickets are about $50/pound. You cannot raise crickets in an open field, like you can do with chicken, pigs, sheep, cows.

And I imagine insects are not very tasty. I do not eat just to live. I do not care about "protein."

I eat for the flavor. If I cannot enjoy my food, I have no need to live.

• Daisy
    1 year ago

No.

• Mark
    1 year ago

Ugh, no. I know some cultures eat them on a regular basis, but I think I'd rather eat just vegetables than to eat bugs and larvae.