Enzyme Detergent?

Hello. My cat peed on my blanket. I didn’t see him do it but I know he did because it smells like urine. I put the blanket in a plastic bag. It smells like ammonia. The bag has been sitting in my porch for about two weeks.

I read that an enzyme detergent it’s what I need to get rid of the smell. I don’t really care if it’s permanently stained. I just want the bacteria/smell gone!!!

Will an enzyme detergent really fix the problem? Or is getting rid of the blanket the better solution?

Thanks

Its to late now, you should have dealt with it straight away when it happened. DUMP THE BLANKET Dude.

Toss the blanket, enzymes in the container would be a min of $10.00, and would not be that effective. A cats urine is highly effective at leaving lingering odors. This urine, in the entire cat family, has some of the same chemistry as a skunks spray. It is made to last when the urine is used to mark a territory, originally in a jungle.

first, get rid of the cat. then, 3% hydrogen peroxide mixed with 1/16th part sodium bicarbonate [baking soda] and a dash of liquid laundry detergent is the homemade remedy for cat urine.

[the cat will want to return to the same location, so either it or the blanket has to go]

why the heck didn't you wash it right away???

ANY good laundry detergent with some baking soda added to deodorize would hve done the job.

Good thing you don't have kids who wet their pants or wet the bed..would you also bag that and leave it on the porch for 2 weeks?

At this point it's a crap shoot whether anything will work. Putting it in a plastic bag for two weeks was a very bad move. The stains have set and the smell has permeated the entire blanket. Next time launder immediately and pretty much any detergent will take care of the stain and the smell.

• Anna E

Natures Miracle sells an enzyme product specifically for cat urine. It is not a detergent, you saturate the item with the Natures Miracle and let it set until it dries. The odor should be gone, if not try again. IF you have already tried washing it or treated with vinegar or anything else, the Natures Miracle will not work. Buy the cat urine formula. BUT there are certain fabrics that nothing gets the smell of cat urine out. If you don't have any sentimental attachment to the blanket, I would pitch it and buy a new one.